The department offers two majors and three minors:
- Bachelor of Arts, Music major (required concentration in General Studies, Performance, Composition, or Sacred Music)
- Bachelor of Arts, Music Education major (required concentration in Choral and General Music or Instrumental and General Music)
- Minor in Conducting (for Music or Music Education majors only)
- Minor in Music
- Minor in Jazz Performance
Please reference the 2020-2021 Undergraduate Catalog ;for course requirements specific to the Music majors and minors.
Gonzaga is the only Jesuit university on the West Coast that offers both a Bachelor of Arts in Music and Music Education. Gonzaga’s music alumni are successful music educators, performers, church musicians, composers, and arts administrators, and many continue studying in prestigious graduate programs.
Bachelor of Arts in Music Education
Of the 28 Jesuit universities in the nation, Gonzaga is one of three that offers a Bachelor of Arts in Music Education. This degree certifies the graduate to teach music in elementary and secondary schools in the state of Washington and 46 reciprocating states. Students may focus in choral or instrumental music education.
Bachelor of Arts in Music
The B.A. in Music degree includes courses in Music Theory (4 semesters), Ear Training (3), Music History (2), Conducting, Creative Music Lab Ensemble, Music History Seminar, Applied Lessons, and Ensembles.
- Performance Concentration students pursue excellence through additional courses in pedagogy, repertoire, and a Junior and Senior Recital. Students study privately with one of Gonzaga’s distinguished faculty, who perform actively both internationally and locally with the Spokane Symphony Orchestra, Spokane Jazz Orchestra, Civic Theatre, and Kantorei Choir.
- Composition Concentration students the craft of composing music through individual study and seminars. Throughout four semesters of composition coursework, students’ compositions are performed publicly and become part of the Junior and Senior Portfolios.
- General Music Studies offers students two capstone options. The research track involves faculty- directed study in an area of particular interest to the student. The internship track enables seniors to apply music skills to a professional setting, such as at the Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist, Gonzaga’s Foley Library Music Collection, and Spokane Public Radio.
- Music Minor (for all areas: instruments and voice)
- Conducting Minor
- Jazz Performance Minor