GUide Core serves as the student representatives for Gonzaga University's New Student Orientation and First Year Experience Programs. They are instrumental in guiding our diverse first year, international, transfer, veteran, returning adult students during this important time of transition to life at Gonzaga University. As a Jesuit, Catholic institution GUide Core is vital in living out Gonzaga University’s mission where we “educate students for lives of leadership and service for the common good.” These students primarily assist First Year Experience programs in the planning and implementation of New Student Orientation. As a member of GUide Core, you will receive valuable leadership skills, supervision skills, and program management experience.
It is a paid position that provides important leadership opportunities. Additionally, on-campus housing is provided during the summer at no cost.
Terms of service are January 2021 - December 2021. This is subject to change.
- Program GUide(s) – Two Positions Available
- Student Leader GUide(s) - Two Positions Available
To learn about each position's responsibilities, please click the links to the right.
- Must be a student in good standing at Gonzaga University available, on campus, from January 2021 - December 2021 (including summer)
- Self-motivated individual with excellent written, verbal, and organizational skills
- Demonstrate excellent time management skills and the ability to multi-task
- Ability manage multiple projects and personnel involved in these projects in accordance with New Student Orientation, First Year Experience Programs and Gonzaga University objectives, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to plan, organize, prioritize, and implement student programs.
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious relationships with staff, faculty, and students.
- Ability to supervise peers in an effective and developmental manner.
- Open to feedback and direction from supervisors.
- Be under no administrative, behavioral or conduct sanctions
- Must maintain a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 during employment (if you need clarification, please email email@example.com)
- Must serve as a role model to other students, upholding Gonzaga University’s Standards of Conduct and other stated policies during their entire term of employment.
- Be available and able to work during business hours in the 2021 Spring, Summer and Fall semester
- Be available during all the dates listed below
- Spring 2021 – Average of 10 hours per week during the Spring Semester, which includes a weekly 1:1 and a First Year Experience Programs staff meeting.
- Summer 2021 - Average of 20 hours per week during the summer. Employment, internships and other summer commitments outside of GUide Core must be discussed with the Program Coordinator of First Year Experience. August hours become 40 hours a week and overtime in preparation for New Student Orientation.
- Fall 2021 - Average of 6 hours per week during the Spring Semester, which includes a weekly 1:1 and First Year Experience Programs staff meeting.
**All work hours must be completed Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Paid position
- First Year Experience uniform and other swag items
- Some meals provided during Orientation Leader Training and New Student Orientation
- Summer on-campus Housing provided at no cost if needed by student
- Staff Group Activities (pending Covid)
- Much more!
Upon Hire Dates, Mandatory Dates, and other information:
- Onboarding Team Meeting on Zoom: TBD - December 2020
- Individual Meeting with Supervisor on Zoom: November 30 - December 4, 2020
- Spring Semester Start: Tuesday, January 19, 2020
- FYEP All Staff Retreat: TBD - Spring 2021
- Spring Semester is dedicated to Orientation Planning and Leader Recruitment
- Off Work during the month of May 2021
- Orientation Planning and Implementation: June 1, 2021 - August 13, 2021
- Orientation Leader Training: August 23-26, 2021
- Orientation Weekend: August 27-30, 2021
- Hiring and Transitioning GUide Core 2022: Fall 2021 Semester
*First Year Experience Programs has the authority to change any of the above information as needed.*