Professional staff in the Center for Cura Personalis are trained to deal with many of the challenges students face. Please consider making a referral by using the REFER Form or calling the Center for Cura Personalis at 509-313-2227 with your concerns.
Every member of the Gonzaga community can do something to show students that they care. Below are a few things to keep in mind when someone comes to you:
- Take a break from what you are doing to focus solely on the student and simply listen to what is being shared.
- Find a place to talk in private so that the student is able to feel more open to talking
- Express interest, care, and concern. Make sure the student knows you are interested in what (s)he is sharing.
- Make sure that students know you cannot keep information confidential. If students share that they are thinking about harming themselves or others, you need to get others involved. Reports of sexual assault, harassment or discrimination must be reported. Talk with your students about your limitations, and be open to helping them get connected to others who are specially trained.
- Avoid criticizing or sounding judgmental.
- Ask open ended questions to help clarify.
- Help explore what options the student may be open to for getting assistance (e.g. meeting with a case manager in the Center for Cura Personalis, scheduling an appointment with a counselor).
- Make sure students are aware of your limits to help. Know the limits of your own skills and training. There are others who are trained to deal with what the student is sharing. Communicate your limits and offer to help students get connected to those who can help.
- Don't ignore comments about suicide, violence, or harm to self or others. Call Campus Security & Public Safety immediately (509-313-2222), or ask someone around you to call while you stay with the student.
- Help students get connected to the appropriate resources. Consider walking the student to the Center for Cura Personalis (Crosby 216) where one of the professional staff can quickly assist.
- Take the time to write down your notes from the conversation.
- Pass those notes on using the REFER Form or by calling the Center for Cura Personalis at 509-313-2227.